Day 2 of Church House Advent Calendar
As the nights get colder and shorter, it’s the perfect time to make this spicy, winter-warming mulled wine recipe.
Mulled wine recipe
Makes about 12 servings
- 2 unwaxed oranges
- 1 lemon, peel only
- 150g caster sugar
- 5 cloves, plus extra for garnish
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 bottles of fruity, unoaked red wine
- 150ml ginger wine
1. Peel and juice one orange, add to a large saucepan along with the lemon peel, sugar and spices. Add enough wine to just cover the sugar, and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 – 8 minutes until you have a thick syrup.
2. Stud the second orange with 6 vertical lines of cloves, and then cut into segments to use as a garnish. Turn the heat down, pour the rest of the wine into the saucepan, along with the ginger wine. Gently heat through and serve with the orange segments as a garnish.