Day 9 of Church House Advent Calendar
What will Christmas be without mince pies? The tasty mouthfuls are as traditional as the Queen’s Speech and Christmas jumpers. We will not try and reinvent the classic, but we have simply added a few boozy ingredients – naughty, but nice!
Classic mincemeat recipe with a boozy twist
- 500g currants
- 500g raisins
- 500g sultanas
- 500g apples, peeled, cored and chopped in small pieces
- 2x250g boxes shredded beef suet
- 100g whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 350g natural demerara sugar
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 rounded tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 large, juicy lemon
- 250g whole mixed peel, chopped into small dice
- 125ml dark rum
- 125ml Disaronno
- 175ml brandy
- Wash the dried fruit thoroughly in a colander under the cold tap. Tip the fruit on to clean tea towels and dry by patting in the cloths.
- Put the dried fruit in a very large bowl with the apples, suet, almonds, sugars and spices. Grate the zest of the lemon into the bowl, then squeeze in the juice. Tip in the peel and the alcohol.
- Mix all the ingredients very thoroughly. Cover and leave to stand for 24 hours, give it a good stir with a spoon occasionally.