Detox vegetable soup
- 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 of a diced red onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 diced celery stalks
- 3 medium diced carrots
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh peeled and minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- fine-grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water (or 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water)
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and torn in pieces
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- juice from 1/2 of a small lemon (or a whole lemon, depending how much lemon flavor you prefer)
- In a large pot, add the water and turn on the heat to medium-high. After it starts to boil, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes and fresh ginger. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, adding in extra water or broth as needed (another 1/4 cup). Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add in the kale, cabbage and lemon juice near the last 2-3 minutes of simmering.
This cleansing recipe is oil-free because avoiding the use of oil during a cleansing meal is important for the detoxification process (and you won’t miss the oil at all due to all the flavor!) but if you feel like cooking with oil, use 1 tablespoon or less.
Leftovers stay well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.