Here’s a pancake recipe which has got our hearts! We’re celebrating February in style with this special twist on Valentines Day and Pancake Day. These heart-shaped pancakes are a real treat and we recommend you go all out in terms of toppings!
This recipe will make twelve 4-inch pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus 1 tablespoon for griddle
- Pastry bag
- Heat griddle pan over medium-high heat. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add egg, milk, and 2 tablespoons melted butter; then whisk to combine. The batter should have small to medium lumps.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Test griddle by sprinkling with a few drops of water. If the water bounces and spatters, it is hot enough. With a paper towel, brush 1/2 teaspoon butter onto griddle. Wipe off excess.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain round tip with batter; twist end of the bag, and secure with a rubber band. Working in batches, pipe heart shapes, drawing V of batter in the centre of hearts to fill, on heated griddle. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around the edges, about 2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 1 minute.
- Repeat with the remaining batter of the pancake recipe, using 1/2 teaspoon butter on the griddle for each batch, keeping finished pancakes on a heat-proof plate in the oven until ready to serve.