Watching the state of terror and chaos unfold in Afghanistan, we are compelled to look for ways of helping Afghanistan.
As a venue, we stand ready to offer our facilities to charities and action groups who need meeting and working spaces during this crucial time. If your organisation is supporting Afghans during this crisis, feel free to contact us to use our spaces depending on your needs, be it for volunteering, fundraising, storage, or any other urgent requirements where we can offer immediate assistance.
Below are a few other initiatives to support Afghans, as recommended by some of our team members. Do get in touch to let us know your suggestions and we will update the list.
Helping Afghanistan by donating and showing your support:
- Donate your airmiles. Your frequent flyer miles (and monetary donations) can fly refugees, asylees, and asylum seekers to their new homes – https://miles4migrants.org/
- Turquoise Mountain Trust is a charity that has been working in Afghanistan for over 15 years. Their efforts now are focused on emergency food and other supply distribution, healthcare services for children and families, and support for the individuals and communities for whom they are currently responsible. – https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/afghanistanappeal
- Support Afghanistan’s journalists – https://www.mediasupport.org/donate/
Where social media is concerned, share and amplify posts of expert Afghan journalists, activists, artists leaders, and researchers. For example @RukhshanaMedia – a brave Afghan women-run news organization named after a woman who was stoned to death by the Taliban – tells the stories of Afghan women and journalists in real-time.
4. The volunteer organisation Afghan Diaspora for Equality & Progress (@AfgDiasporaEP) working with the help of legal experts and resources to help Afghans seek immigration and asylum out of the country to the US, UK, and Canada have compiled a document showing pathways to migration for Afghans.
Reach out to your local MP by asking what actions are being considered to evacuate and resettle Afghans. what help and community support will be available to help the resettlement process including mental health provision.
6. Donate to @refugees to help Afghan families displaced by violence.