Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns are a traditional Easter favourite. We love this recipe for its generous amount of fruit, the perfect balance of spices, and its tempting sticky glaze on top. Perfect with a cuppa.
For the hot cross buns
- 500g strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 heaped tsp mixed spice
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g butter (chopped into cubes)
- 200g mixed dried fruit
- 7g dried yeast
- 200ml milk
- 2 eggs
For the crosses & glaze
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Honey or golden syrup (for brushing)
- Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt, mixed spice, and sugar.
- Rub the butter in with your fingertips. Stir in the dried fruit, then sprinkle over the yeast and stir in.
- Gently warm the milk so it is hot, but still cool enough to put your finger in for a couple of seconds.
- Beat with the eggs, then pour into the dried ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients to a moist dough, then leave to soak for 5 mins. Take out of the bowl and cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape the dough into buns on a floured surface. Space apart on a baking sheet, cover loosely with cling film, then leave in a warm place until half again in size. This will take 45 mins-1 hr 15 mins, depending on how warm the room is.
- When the buns have risen, heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Mix the flour with 2 tbsp water to make a paste. Pour into a plastic food bag and make a nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on top of each bun.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden.
- Trim the excess cross mixture from the buns, then brush all over with honey or golden syrup.