National Day of Reflection 2021
Today we’ll be observing the one-minute silence marking one year since the first lockdown. On this poignant National Day of Reflection, we think back on the past 12 months and what it has taught us.
What have we learned from the past year?
- Nothing beats a good dance-a-thon in the middle of the day. Harlem Shake (from Baauer) got a fair amount of plays during my lockdowns. Sorry, neighbours.
- I am a pro at finding peace in mindfulness now, just sitting outside listening to the wind (or the rain), hearing the birds, and watching our pets.
- When my children said that if we got a dog they would walk it – they didn’t really mean it!
- Friends are never really apart. Loved discovering new ways of staying connected with group watch. Thanks, Disney+ and Netflix!
- Two hours of homeschool could be worse than eight hours of normal school.
- Suddenly having to plan three meals a day, every day, requires a lot of imagination (and patience).
- Watching plants and flowers grow makes me happy.
- Thinking of the boom of babies in 9 months’ time …will they be known as Coronials?
- Don’t work from your bed. It will swallow your whole life. Have an office space set aside where you can shut the door and work only office hours.
- Who else has questioned the actual use of a bra in lockdown?
- Teachers are not paid enough. And neither are care workers.
- Realising how much we take for granted in life, including life itself.
- The absolute fun creating alternative handshakes with those you’ve not seen for a while.
- Growing ever closer to my dog in behaviour. We both scour the house for food, take afternoon naps together, we get in trouble when too close to people, and can’t resist a good long walk.
- Trying my best to convey facial expressions when wearing a mask using eyebrows – you should try it!
- Nothing lasts forever.
We think Socrates summed it up best when he said: “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.”
How are you feeling on this National Day of Reflection? If you fancy a chat, our team would love to hear from you.