New season spring lamb perfect roast
The popularity of new season lamb is due to its delicate flavour and succulent, tender texture. The younger the animal is the more tender the meat and milder the flavour with a hint of sweetness. The meat from younger animals will be paler getting darker as the animal ages.
I will be using for my roast, a boned leg of lamb marinated in garlic and rosemary. I won’t be adding to much to over power it as it is best served with minimal ingredients so you can taste the tender spring lamb at its best.
1.5kg Spring Lamb leg (boned)
4 cloves garlic
3 sprigs of rosemary
10ml Olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper
2 Carrots, 2 celery sticks, 2 white onion
200ml Red wine
400ml Lamb stock
- Pre-heat your oven to 200c
- Peel your garlic & chop finely with your rosemary sprigs, add into a bowl and mix in your oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinade the lamb with your garlic mix and leave on a baking tray for half an hour or overnight.
- Add the lamb in the oven with the chopped carrots, celery and white onion sitting underneath.
- Place in the oven for 20 mins and then lower the temperature to 170c for 40 more minutes.
- Once cooked, take out of the oven and rest the meat in tin foil for 20 minutes.
- Add a good glug of red wine and cook down to half. Add some lamb stock and reduce to half. (optional to add wholegrain mustard and a dollop of cream)
- Slice your tender piece of lamb. For me its best to add some fried green bean with shallots, crispy roast potatoes and to finish the sauce over the meat. Enjoy!!
Find out more about Church House Conference Centre Event Catering services.