Nougat glace recipe
60g blanched whole almonds
250g mixed candied peel
60g dried apricots
100g glace cherries
100g caster sugar
1 tbs water
500ml double cream
4 egg whites
1 vanilla pod
- Toast nuts for 3-4 mins until nicely browned.
- Chop apricots and cherries.
- Split vanilla pod, scrape seeds and whisk into cream to form soft peaks.
- Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer whisk whites on the slowest setting whilst boiling the sugar and water in a heavy based saucepan.
- Using a temperature probe or sugar thermometer, bring sugar syrup to 121 degrees. This is above boiling point so proceed with caution!
- Turn mixer to medium and slowly trickle sugar mixture onto egg whites until bottom of mixing bowl goes cold.
- Once cool, fold in whipped cream followed by fruit and nuts.
- Line a terrine mould or empty ice cream tub with a double layer of cling film and pour in mixture.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours preferably overnight.
- Once frozen serve as you would ice cream or a frozen parfait.
Glorious with raspberry coulis!