Purple sprouting broccoli spaghetti
Today is National Spaghetti Day! To celebrate we have a special vegan recipe that pays homage to the arrival of purple sprouting broccoli, a traditional Winter vegetable which is rich in Vitamin C. Best of all? It’s a quick and easy vegan recipe, ready in less than half an hour.
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 150g spaghetti
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp flour
- 2 and a half cups of your favourite plant milk
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp sage, finely chopped
- 25g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 25g vegan blue cheese
- Cook spaghetti until ‘el dente’ – according to package details, and add broccoli to the boiling water for the last 4 minutes before the spaghetti is done. Drain into a colander, rinse with cold water.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil, and then the onion. Fry until soft, add the garlic and wait another minute before adding the flour. Whisk until smooth. Cook for another minute before adding the milk. Whisk until smooth. Let the sauce thicken (about 8 minutes) whilst stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, which gives it a cheesy flavour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together the spaghetti, broccoli and sauce. Scatter with finely chopped sage, roughly chopped hazelnuts and vegan blue cheese.