Sourdough with asparagus and broad beans
This recipe, featuring sourdough with asparagus and broad beans, celebrates the best of British.
The arrival of St George’s Day heralds the start of the much-anticipated British asparagus season. The springtime vegetable is incredibly versatile and delicious served simply boiled, steamed, grilled, or roasted. We love this brunch recipe that celebrates the hero vegetable, served together with baby broad beans, a seasonal highlight of late Spring.
- 15 asparagus spears
- 200 g baby broad beans (rid them from their skins)
- A bunch of spring onions
- Olive oil
- Slices of sourdough
- 50 g goat’s cheese
- Blanch asparagus in salted boiling water for 2 minutes in a pan. Scoop the asparagus out and add the broad beans to the boiling water for 1 minute. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Cut the spring onions into small rings. Add the spring onions to the pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Cut the asparagus in 3 cm pieces and add, together with broad beans, to the spring onions in the pan. Add the goat’s cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Toast the sourdough. Rub each slice with garlic (optional), drizzle with olive oil. Add the mixture in the pan onto the sourdough. Drizzle again with olive oil.